If you own a dog, it can be very tempting to give them little bits of food now and again as a special treat. However, there are some foods which are highly poisonous to dogs. Below is a guide to 4 everyday foods that could be harmful to your pooch.
Allium vegetables such as garlic, leeks, chives and onions will cause irritation to your dog's gastrointestinal tract and could damage their ability to produce red blood cells, resulting in anaemia. The symptoms of allium vegetable poisoning include:
- Loss of appetite.
If your dog has existing health conditions, anaemia could be life-threatening, so it is important that they are seen at a vet clinic as soon as possible.
Veterinary science doesn't understand the exact cause of the toxic action created by raisins. However, eating a few raisins can damage your dog's kidneys and could cause them to fail. Signs that your dog has ingested raisins include:
- Bad breath
- Increased need to urinate.
If you are someone who likes to bake homemade bread, it is important that you keep the dough out of reach of your pooch. While uncooked bread dough may look appealing to your dog, when swallowed it can create obstructions in the digestive tract. Also, the fermentation of the yeast within the dough produces alcohol which can be poisonous to your dog, resulting in seizures. The symptoms of bread dough poisoning include
- Low body temperature
- Increased heart rate
Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine. Theobromine is a stimulant which can poison your dog as it cannot be broken down by their kidneys. Theobromine can affect your dog's nervous system, digestive system, heart and kidneys. If a large quantity of chocolate is eaten, it could kill your dog. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include:
- Hyperactive behaviour
- Increased body temperature
- Rapid heartbeat
If your dog has eaten raisins, bread dough or chocolate, it is vital that you have then examined and treated by a vet straight away. Even if you think your dog has consumed a small amount of any of these things, you may want to at least call your vet, even if you don't take them in.
If you would like further information about different foods that could be harmful to your dog, you should contact a vet today. The veterinary team will be happy to offer tips and advice.