Mycotoxicosis In Dogs

Fungi can produce mycotoxins that are poisonous to dogs. When a dog ingests these mycotoxins, they develop a condition known as mycotoxicosis. Organic matter, such as leaves, sticks and wild mushrooms and food that's been left to decompose can all be sources of mycotoxin exposure. If you have a curious dog that likes to explore by tasting what they find when they're out and about, it's wise to know the signs of mycotoxicosis, as ingesting even a small amount of contaminated organic matter can make your dog really sick.

Symptoms Of Mycotoxicosis

Different types of fungi can produce different varieties of mycotoxins, but there are some general symptoms that indicate mycotoxicosis. Your dog will experience vomiting, lethargy, fever and muscle tremors. Respiratory distress is also common, and without prompt treatment, your dog's nervous system will be affected, and this can lead to poor coordination and seizures. Unfortunately, if your dog ingests a large amount of infected fungi, organ damage can occur, and this can be fatal.

Diagnosing And Treating Mycotoxicosis

If you know what your dog has eaten, take a sample of it to the vet for analysis to help speed up diagnosis and treatment. Otherwise, your vet will take blood and vomit samples to confirm the presence of mycotoxins in your dog's body.

Mycotoxicosis is treated by keeping your dog hydrated and doing what's possible to remove the poison from their body. Your dog will receive intravenous fluids to treat or prevent dehydration and the vet may recommend gastric lavage. This involves your dog's stomach may be flushed out with saline to remove toxins. It's carried out using a general anaesthetic, and small incisions will be made in your dog's stomach to allow the vet to insert thin tubes that fluid will be passed through.

Alternatively, your vet may recommend the use of a binding agent, such as activated charcoal. This is typically given to dogs as a drink, and the binding agent attaches to toxins in the intestines. This prevents toxins from being absorbed and doing any further damage to your dog's health. The binding agent carries the toxins out of your dog's body when they defecate.

Regardless of the treatment approach used, your dog will likely have to stay at the surgery for a couple of days to allow the vet to monitor their recovery. Blood and urine tests will likely be carried out to check the health of your dog's organs as they recover.

If your dog is experiencing symptoms associated with mycotoxicosis, have them examined by your vet urgently.  

About Me

Nancy's Nice Tips for Optimising Your Pet's Veterinary Care

Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Nancy, and I love my pets. Currently, I have two dogs, a lab and a poodle, and three cats, and they are in great health but have struggled with various maladies in the past. Of course, I have also owned several other pets, including even a horse and a pig one time. If you want tips on choosing top veterinarians and making the most of the care your pets receive, you have come to the right blog. Please, grab your favourite pet to cuddle and start exploring this blog. I hope you enjoy it and that my tips help your pet stay healthy.