An electric shock has the potential to be devastating to any living creature, and your dog is no exception. Perhaps the most common way for a dog to receive an electric shock is for them to chew on an electrical wire, with their teeth penetrating the cable jacket, as well as the wire insulation, coming into contact with the live conductors themselves. The severity of the electric shock can depend on the strength of the current passing through the wires, along with the size and general health of your dog.